Israel files complaint with BBC over slanted coverage of Gaza attack

Adjust Comment Print

The Israeli Ministry of Defense (MoD) released the first images of the coastal defense barrier that it is constructing in the sea on the country's maritime border with the Gaza Strip on 5 August.

Three Israelis were also injured from the strikes, none of which are believed to be serious.

The Israeli army has killed at least 158 Palestinians during those protests, and a Gaza sniper killed an Israeli soldier.

The IDF stated that it struck a military compound belonging to the Eastern Rafah Battalion, a shaft belonging to an attack tunnel in Jabalya as well as another two combat tunnels near the coast in the central Gaza Strip.

Israel's citizens in the south have experienced an onslaught of attacks from Hamas terrorists who fired over 180 rockets at them since Wednesday evening, repeatedly setting off Red Code alerts that sent them running for cover.

In return for calm in Gaza, Israeli officials said on Sunday they would reopen a commercial border terminal that had been shuttered in response to damage caused by fires set by burning Palestinian kites and balloons lofted over the frontier.

Jason Greenblatt, a United States envoy who has been involved in peace negotiations between Israel and the Palestinians, pointed a finger squarely at Hamas for the escalation of violence.

The Gaza Strip has been under an inhumane Israeli siege since 2007 and witnessed three wars since 2008.

Israel's military on Thursday warned Hamas against a further escalation in violence, and Israeli media said officials were considering evacuating residents from areas near the Gaza border.

In Gaza, one Hamas militant was killed in the air strikes, as was a Palestinian woman and her 18 month old child, Palestinian officials said.

More news: Britons split over Boris Johnson’s burka comments
More news: Barcelona duo Yerry Mina and Andre Gomes join Everton
More news: Chelsea agree club-record fee to complete third summer signing

On Wednesday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu convened an emergency meeting of his security Cabinet - which includes Defense Minister Avigdor Liberman and senior army commanders - to discuss mounting tensions along the Gaza-Israel buffer zone.

Hamas claimed responsibility for the mortar barrage, saying it came in response to the IDF's killing of its two operatives on Tuesday.

Since late on Wednesday, Gaza militants have fired dozens of rockets toward Israel, injuring several people. Iron dome intercepted 28 rockets and most of the others fell on open ground but there was a direct hit on a house in the Hof Ashkelon region and injuries in Sderot and the Eshkol region.

"We are closer to a wide scale operation in Gaza than we've ever been".

The attacks come as the United Nations and Egypt try to secure a deal between Israel and Hamas for a lasting truce.

"We have had another night of escalation and we are not seeing the end", he said.

At least 158 Palestinians have died and thousands injured since the protests began.

The video was also shared by at least one account in Gaza as proof that Hamas should not be messed with and will hit back if attacked.

Israel says it has been defending its sovereign border against infiltration attempts by Hamas.

Comments