Thai cave mission successfully rescues soccer team and their coach

Adjust Comment Print

Authorities have said the boys are being held close to divers and wear oxygen masks to enable normal breathing.

Divers tried to train them with basic diving skills as a part of mission to extract them from the flooded cave after they were found on July 2.

FOUR more boys have been brought out of a flooded cave in northern Thailand as the daring rescue operation ended for the second day.

The father of Richard Harris, a key member of the team of global experts involved in the dramatic rescue mission, died soon after all the boys were freed.

Managing partner Michael Scott, who lives in Thailand and was at the rescue site in Chiang Rai as the boys were being pulled to safety, made the announcement late Tuesday on Twitter.

An global team of rescuers has been in Thailand since the discovery of the stranded football team and their coach, assisting the Thai Navy SEALs in their rescue efforts.

Governor Narongsak Osottanakorn, who is leading the rescue mission, also warned today's operation could be more hard due to the increased number of people to be evacuated, but that he expected the "everyone will be out today".

The footballers still awaiting rescue are about two kilometers further in, at a point very hard to access. Now, two boys along with their football coach remain in the caves.

More news: Canada 'caught in the crossfire' of US-China trade dispute
More news: "Fortnite" Season 5 Introduces New Vehicle & Desert Landscape
More news: Serena Williams reaches 10th Wimbledon final with straight sets win

A medic and three Thai Navy Seals who have stayed with the boys on a small, dry shelf deep in the flooded cave will also come out, he said. They also anxious about dwindling oxygen levels in the cave. Tuesday's operation began just after 10am. "Everyone is in high spirits and are happy to get out". The entire Wild Boar youth soccer team and its coach have been safely removed from a cave in Thailand.

"We expect that everybody will be out today, the children and coach and everybody will be out today", Osatanakorn told reporters.

Two of the boys had suspected lung infections but the four boys from the first group rescued were all walking around their hospital beds.

The first eight boys rescued from a Thai cave complex are in good health overall and some asked for chocolate bread for breakfast, officials said on Tuesday as rescuers prepared to free the remaining five in a race against time and bad weather.

The fact they are footballers who are "strong and in good health" may account for their physical resilience, he added.

Four other youngsters and their soccer coach are still inside.

After divers brought out four of the boys Monday evening, authorities indicated the rescue operation would continue for a third day.

It took divers a total of 11 hours to do a round-trip rescue mission from and to the exit point of the cave, South China Morning Post reported. Monday's mission took about nine hours, two fewer than Sunday's.