Naked man claimed to have bomb at Daytona International Airport, deputies say

Adjust Comment Print

A naked man referenced a bomb at Daytona Beach International Airport, forcing the evacuation of the entire airport Friday morning, Volusia County Sheriff Mike Chitwood said.

Chitwood revealed Greenwood was "well known" to local police and had been arrested a number of times previously.

During the arrest, police said he claimed that a bomb was about to go off at the airport.

The Wesh 2 News news article expanded on the story, saying that the man entered the airport using some type of bag as clothing; he later emerged naked after leaving an airport bathroom without the bag.

The body-camera video released by the Sheriff's Office shows the man sitting down near the carousel ignoring orders to lie down on his stomach. He was subdued with a Taser after jumping on the baggage carousel.

After searching the restrooms, a deputy found something hidden in some drywall in a bathroom under construction, the sheriff said.

John Greenwood, 25, was taken to a hospital for a mental evaluation.

More news: Abhishek Bachchan welcomes wifey Aishwarya Rai on Instagram with a throwback picture
More news: United Nations top nuclear inspector Tero Varjoranta resigns
More news: Neymar hints at PSG stay as Real Madrid rumours rumble on

Volusia County deputies say the suspect is in custody. The bomb is going to go off.

Deputies and bomb-sniffing dogs soon cleared the terminal, which reopened at about 9.40 am. "I planted a bomb in the bathroom, '" Sheriff Chitwood added.

Deputies used their taser guns to subdue him after he got on the baggage carousel.

'Fortunately for us, it was not a bomb, ' Chitwood said. As of Friday morning, he remained at Halifax Health Medical Center, Chitwood said. They had been evacuated earlier to the short-term parking area.

"I just want to get out of here, bro", he told a deputy.

Greenwood was last arrested in 2017 for aggravated assault on a law enforcement officer. They were calling loved ones on their phones and also contacting American and Delta airlines to make sure they could still get a connecting flight out of Charlotte, North Carolina, or Atlanta, respectively. "I was about 10 minutes from boarding when they told us to evacuate".

All passengers were held in the short-term parking lot and flights were grounded while crews searched the airport.