Tragic day - Himanshu Roy, one of Maharashtra police's best officers, shoots himself

Adjust Comment Print

Former Mumbai's Top Cop Himanshu Roy Commits Suicide:- Himanshu Roy is sure one of the toughest and honest cops across the circles of Maharastra. It's very sad that young officer like him had to shoot himself. After each bout of radiation, when he gained strength, he would hit the gym to keep himself motivated in his fight against cancer. "It is very, very unfortunate". "He was known as a daring officer and had held many important positions". He [Roy] was a bright officer. However, it is not known if it was his prolonged sickness that prompted him to take the extreme step.

"Can't believe the news about Himanshu Roy. I am shaken by this awful news", a devastated Sivanandhan told Firstpost.

In 2009, he was promoted to additional commissioner for south Mumbai, a highprofile post that marked the beginning of a phase during which he was entrusted with a range of sensitive cases. "It's unending and not easy", Patil said.

"Roy's office was on the second floor and mine on the first". He was confined to his house the last few months.

It was Sivanandhan who asked Roy to set up the cyber crime cell in Mumbai. "He would say sometimes it's good, and sometimes there is pain", Patil said.

More news: Koreen: Masai Ujiri's conservatism shines through in timing of Dwane Casey's firing
More news: Doomsday for Hawaii? New Lava Vent Threatens Big Island
More news: Solo: A Star Wars Story gives Chewbacca his own theme song

Himanshu Roy graduated from St. Xavier's College in Mumbai. Roy was very likeable. "We never saw him at annual get-togethers, but he kept track of the wellbeing of his school through his friends", said Paul Machado, principal of the school. Lately, he had "lost weight and seemed depressed", said friends.

He was rushed to a hospital, but succumbed to his injuries.

Roy oversaw the investigation into the August 2013 gang-rape of a woman photo-journalist inside the desolate Shakti Mills Compound in central Mumbai, which culminated in death sentence for three of the accused. He was a fitness freak. Around two and half years ago, Roy was diagnosed with blood and bone cancer and he had been undergoing treatment for the same ever since. It was detected quite late when he noticed a swelling on his body. He had taken a long leave.

"I always perceived Roy as a strong person who was fond of going to gym".

A doctor who examined Roy at Bombay Hospital said the bullet injury was visible right up to his skull.