The action followed a week of threats of retaliation for a suspected chemical weapons attack on civilians in Douma, outside Damascus, where Syrian forces have always been battling rebels.
Russia's theories about last Saturday's suspected chemical attack are reminiscent of previous contradictions.
Russian Federation on Saturday called for an emergency meeting of the United Nations Security Council as Moscow said it would consider supplying S-300 missile systems to Syria following US -led strikes.
The US and its allies believe the Syrian regime was behind the attack, but Russian Federation has long insisted it was staged by rebels in an attempt to provoke further Western intervention. "Russian Federation can complain all it wants about fake news, but no one is buying its lies and its cover-ups".
Maj Gen Konashenkov said Britain was "directly involved in the provocation".
A day before a team from the global chemical weapons watchdog was to arrive in Douma, just east of Damascus, Sergey Lavrov said Russian experts have already inspected the site of the alleged attack and found no trace of chemical weapons, adding without elaboration that Moscow has "irrefutable information that it was another fabrication".More news: Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp Klopp lauds Reds' 40-goal Salah
More news: King departs for Saudi Arabia to take part in Arab Summit
More news: Donald Trump is losing it on Twitter over James Comey
Here's who Russian Federation has blamed this week for the alleged chemical attack that killed dozens, including many children.
"It's.highly likely an attempt to create complications for the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) mission which was just starting its work in Syria's Douma, or an attempt to completely derail it", Interfax quoted Kosachev as saying.
Lavrov noted that Russian and USA militaries have a hotline to prevent incidents, adding that it's not clear if it would be sufficient amid mounting tensions.
Announcing the strikes, US President Donald Trump criticised both Russian Federation and Iran, which have backed Assad's government.
A team of inspectors from the OPCW arrived in Syria on Thursday and Friday and had been expected to start their investigation into the alleged Douma attack on Saturday. The government, however, said evacuations from Douma were ongoing and no Syrian government forces had entered the town.