Marathon runner Callum Hawkins collapses in final kilometres of Commonwealth Games race

Adjust Comment Print

Hawkins, who had a lead of 41 seconds at the time of his fall, was passed by Australia's Michael Shelley who won the race.

Hawkins regained conscious and was able to sit up while still at the scene of his collapse. Hawkins was taken to hospital and is sat up and talking with no obvious long term damage done but fellow athletes and former athletes were damning of how long it took for professional assistance to arrive.

Team Scotland wrote on social media that Hawkins had been taken to hospital for monitoring, but medical staff had "no major concerns" about his condition.

"We are offering every assistance possible to Callum and Team Scotland", he said. "He is undergoing further tests as a precaution and we all wish him a speedy recovery".

Hawkins lied there for several minutes before medical staff finally assisted him, but it was a case of too little, too late for the commentators.

Ron Lewis, athletics correspondent for British newspaper The Times, tweeted: "How pathetic are the Commonwealth Games organizers?"

Callum Hawkins was leading the men's marathon when he became delirious in the 30C heat and fell in the last 1km of the race.

Following criticism of the lack of medical response, GOLDOC confirmed medical staff were posted at 500 metre intervals in the final kilometres of the course with radio communications.

As you know the worldwide rules are very clear in that an athlete has to declare themselves unfit to race (before they can receive any medical attention).

"I like many others was distressed to see a wonderful athlete like Callum collapse during the closing stages of today's marathon", said Peters.

More news: Even Without Stephen Curry, Golden State Warriors Have Talent Edge over Spurs
More news: ICICI Bank Limited (IBN) Shares Obtained by Keybank National Association OH
More news: PBL softball sweeps doubleheader over South Newton

"Congratulations to all the runners who finished and courageous running from Robbie Simpson and Kevin Seaward but big questions for LOC [local organising committee] and medical support".

"I was also concerned about the behaviour of a small number of bystanders who chose to take images", he said.

Hawkins was not the only athlete to suffer in brutal conditions.

Hawkins was by no means the only athlete to suffer in the heat - Tanzania's Stephano Huche Gwandu was taken away in a wheelchair after taking a tumble as he crossed the finish line.

"I'm glad to be finished to be honest", added Shelley.

"I'm just concerned for his welfare", Cram said.

"Sometimes medical people arrive and the athlete has to make a decision as to whether they want to go on or not".

"I saw him lying there and wanted to stop to see if he was alright". I'm sorry if you're watching this at home, it's really distressing. You can not just wait at the finish line - people get in distress further down the course.

Uganda's Munyo Solomon Mutai took silver, while Scotland's Robbie Simpson picked up the bronze.

Helalia Johannes won the women's race in 2:32.40, becoming Namibia's first female gold medallist at the Commonwealth Games.