According to the IDF, rioters in four different locations along the Israel-Gaza border burnt tires and hurled rocks at Israeli security forces.
Defense Minister Avigdor Liberman commented on the strike: "We performed a professional and precise [military] action". "The destruction of the attack tunnel infrastructure is an essential element of the policy of consistently harming Hamas's strategic capabilities".
"It is definitely a possibility that an attack was imminent", Conricus said, but would not elaborate further. The Israeli fighter jets struck the tunnel at the Gaza entrance point.
According to the Times of Israel, over the past year, the army has been constructing an underground barrier around the Gaza Strip that is meant to block attempts to dig into Israel. It was completely destroyed by the strike.
In a statement, the Israel occupation Forces said that it views Hamas as responsible for what happens in Gaza.
Palestinian protesters wave national flags during clashes with Israeli security forces on the eastern outskirts of Gaza City, near the border with Israel, on January 12, 2018.More news: Tottenham '100 percent confident' of keeping star names - Daniel Levy
More news: Crystal Palace boss Hodgson hails matchwinner Sako: His contract?
More news: Israeli PM to visit India for boost of ties
Palestinian media reports said that the target was a cross-border smuggling tunnel operated by Hamas.
The military said that it does not intend to bring about an escalation of the situation, but will continue to act against any violation of Israeli sovereignty.
Nezar Ayyash, the head of Gaza fishermen union, earlier said the fisherman had been shot by gunfire from the Egyptian border.
Israel shut down the crossing on December 14 following multiple rockets and mortar attacks from Gaza, along with Erez Crossing, through which people enter and exit the Strip.
The Erez Crossing opened a day later, and Kerem Shalom was reopened on December 17.
Violent riots raged in the Gaza Strip and across the West Bank as parts remain under military lock down following the shooting of a settler in the Nablus area last week, the Israel Defense Forces reported Friday.