Suspect in fatal hoax call in Wichita makes court appearance

Adjust Comment Print

The suspect in the "swatting" incident that led to the shooting death of a Wichita, Kansas man has been charged with involuntary manslaughter, according to arrest records, via The Wichita Eagle. He was also charged with giving false alarm and interference with a law enforcement officer.

Barriss is being held on a $500,000 bond.

Barriss made his first appearance in a Wichita courtroom Friday afternoon and a preliminary hearing is tentatively scheduled for January 25, according to Sedgwick County Dist. Atty.

Gaming news site Dexerto reported earlier that the dispute between Barriss and the other Call of Duty player occurred after a $1 or $2 online wager match on UMG, a popular video game matchmaking site.

More news: India bans Price Waterhouse from auditing listed firms for two years
More news: Magashule: ANC NEC hasn't discussed replacing Zuma
More news: Rep. McSally Officially Jumps Into Arizona Senate Race

In the state of Kansas, involuntary manslaughter can lead up to 11 years in prison as the maximum sentence, not including the two other charges Barriss faces. The address he provided police was not that of the intended target, however, and 28-year-old Andrew Finch, who was not involved in the dispute, was shot and killed by police while exiting the house.

The recent issuing of arrest warrants for a California man in connection with a fraudulent call to 911 that prompted a large police presence in southwest Calgary was likely the first encounter with the term "swatting" for many Calgarians but, for online gamers, the criminal prank calls are well-known. Wichita police say he was given commands to keep his hands raised, but he reached toward his waistline multiple times.

Swatting is the act of making a fake emergency call in an attempt to get officer to respond to someone's address. According to police, a Kansas City man may have been the victim of a swatting incident resulting from an argument while playing Call of Duty.

One of the players allegedly called Barriss and requested he "swat" another player.