Flooding At New York's JFK Airport Adds To Misery After Flight Delays

Adjust Comment Print

On Sunday, a water main broke in JFK's Terminal 4, a major arrival point for worldwide flights, flooding the baggage claim and forcing the airport to temporarily evacuate the terminal and shut down arrivals for four hours.

That sent approximately three inches of water into the terminal's west end. Indeed, the delays reportedly continued, and that was before the water main broke in Terminal 4.

The cancellations and delays were caused by a water pipe break flooded the arrivals hall at Terminal 4 just before 2 p.m. local time Sunday.

The Port Authority said on Sunday that the airport's runways and taxiways were "fully operational" following Saturday's problems, but that the airlines themselves were still in "recovery mode", as the cold weather was still leading to equipment failures and operational slowdowns.

The Port Authority said global arrivals to Terminal 4 were suspended and passengers who had already arrived were taken to other terminals for processing.

A water main broke in a JFK International Airport terminal on Sunday, flooding a baggage claim area.

CBS News reported there were no injuries reported in the incident.

Abrams video showed water on the ground in the arrivals area of the terminal and the chaos as travelers attempted a mass exodus from the airport.

More news: Israel orders African migrants to leave
More news: Naples man attacked by bear as he walked dog
More news: Samsung announces DRVLINE autonomous auto platform

On Saturday, two days after the storm, 70 flights out of JFK were canceled and 228 were delayed, according to live flight tracking site, FlightAware.

Tired Avianca passengers wait for flights at Kennedy Airport Terminal 4 on Monday, Jan. 8, 2018.

Officials shut down arriving worldwide flights.

After it reopened, a "cascading series of issues" including extreme cold, frozen equipment breakdowns, staff shortages and difficulties in baggage handling contributed to the delays, the Port Authority said.

The Port Authority of NY and New Jersey said Monday it will investigate the water pipe break that added to the weather-related delays at Kennedy Airport and will "hold all responsible parties accountable".

"There's still like a hundred people waiting for their luggage", he told AFP.

A Norwegian Air flight from London diverted to Stewart International, 112km north of Manhattan, while Flightradar24 said a Japan Airlines flight from Tokyo diverted to Boston. Senator Chuck Schumer said that everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. Cotton said the days of delays, cancellations and stranded travelers add up to a "completely unacceptable performance".

"Our remaining two sons, daughter-in-law and new fiancée have just got off an aircraft after two hours waiting and are going to a hotel for a THIRD night". The airline said it was working with authorities in NY to investigate. Ultimately, it's responsible. The Port Authority must not divert this flight.