Four killed in fierce Kashmir gun battle

Adjust Comment Print

Bandipora encounter: Gunbattle between security forces and terrorists is underway in Hajin, Handipora of Jammu and Kashmir on Wednesday, ANI reported. The Garud personnel were operating with the Army for operational experience and training.

Defence spokesman said that Army today paid befitting tributes to two of its Indian Air Force comrades who attained martyrdom during Counter Terrorist operations in Bandipora on 11 Oct 2017.

The police had said that security forces launched a cordon and search operation in Ladoora area following information about the presence of militants in the area.

The terrorists are reportedly associated with Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT).

The two squads of Garud personnel, comprising one officer and 13 commandos each, had joined the Srinagar-based Chinar Corps in August for a six month-long "live situation training", the sources said. Two AK rifles, one pistol with 19 rounds of ammunition, one grenade, two pouches and other ammunition were seized from the encounter site. They were part of the operation for training objective.

More news: Kremlin dismisses reports Kaspersky Lab allegedly stole NASA data
More news: Pack your lunch. Southwest is flying to Hawaii
More news: Puerto Rico mayor calls Trump tweet 'unbecoming'

Last week, three rebels and an Indian paramilitary personnel were killed in an attack, when the rebels stormed an army camp outside the airport in Srinagar.

They were identified as Abu Bakr alias Ali Baba and Nasrullah Mir, son of Nazir Ahmad Mir, resident of Mir Mohalla Hajin.

On Sunday, Air Force Day, IAF chief Air Chief Marshal B.S. Dhanoa had said over 6,000 airmen were trained to respond to Pathankot-like incidents in future. He said the militants opened fire on the security forces, triggering a gun battle.

The Garud force, tasked with guarding air force bases, trained in fight terrorists and insurgents and in search and rescue, origins lie in Jammu and Kashmir.

As per the reports, the Khalid was killed in the joint operation by the Jammu and Kashmir Police's Special Operation Group, CRPF and Army.